Fashion made in Berlin
The success story of the fashion industry in Berlin began in 2003 with the fashion fairs Bread & Butter and Premium. Fashion as well as the Berlin Fashion Week itself are subject to constant change.
The Spring/Summer season of Berlin Fashion Week will take place from 06 - 12 September 2021.
With the success of Berlin Fashion Week, the value chain in the fashion sector has also become much more concentrated. Nearly 3,100 companies are active in the fashion sector in the capital. Turnover in the fashion industry increased by 14% from 2016 to 2017 to around 6.3 billion euros. Parallel to this, the number of employees also rose to 25,400. (As of January 2020)
Nine fashion schools also provide for the next generation of fashion labels. Fashion and Berlin certainly go together so well because Berlin has a lively and internationally radiant creative landscape in music, film, fashion and art and, like fashion, stands for trends and constant change.
How does the state of Berlin promote the development of Berlin as a Fashion location?
Fashion-specific, also corona-related promotions:
- For the reorientation of Berlin Fashion Week, the state has made 3.5 million euros available for 2021 alone
- Around 1 million euros were given to Berlin fashion labels as interest-free loans within the framework of Corona Aid for Fashion
- Fashion Positions as part of Berlin Art Week was funded as a presentation platform in 2020 with around 100,000 euros, 20 fashion labels would be represented there
- With a further 100,000 euros, the state supported the digitalisation of business processes at fashion labels in 2020 #DigitalFashionFuture
A digital map lists around 100 Berlin designers and fashion labels with websites/ordering and pick-up options. The Berlin Showroom Map, a cooperation between the Senate Department for Economic Affairs and the Berlin Showroom, can be found here
The state's supporting measures within the framework of Berlin Fashion Week include:
- Fashion show slots for Berlin fashion labels as part of Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Berlin supported annually by Projekt Zukunft
- Multi-award-winning website for Berlin Fashion Week with information on the fashion fairs, fashion shows as well as participating fashion labels with more than 500,000 clicks per season
- Location marketing measures: Poster campaigns (Berlin) and advertisements (national/international) for Berlin Fashion Week
Selection of other suitable funding programmes that are open to all sectors:
- Within the framework of the Design Transfer Bonus Programme, cooperations with companies can be subsidised with up to 15,000 euros.
- Unbureaucratic micro-loans from Investitionsbank Berlin up to 25,000 euros
- Coaching services from the Coaching Bonus programme
- Loan programmes such as the Berlin Kredit Innovativ programme
- Participations of the VC Fonds Kreativwirtschaft
You can find more information on funding on the following pages:
Here you can read the latest Kurz-Info Mode (German).